Cigarette possible cause of fire

Posted on Apr 27, 2012

Although no definitive cause has been determined in the fire that destroyed an apartment building at the Gorham Meadow Apartments in Berne on Tuesday afternoon, a thrown cigarette may have been the cause. During the ongoing investigation, a resident of the apartment building informed investigators that he had thrown a cigarette out of a window and believes it may have blown back in through a crack in the wall.
By the time firefighters arrived on the scene at approximately 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, the north end of the building was completely engulfed in flames and quickly spread due to the high winds. Firefighters were called back out to the scene at approximately 4:00 a.m. on Wednesday to put out some smoldering embers.

share


You need to be logged in to post comments on this article.